TRUE SISTERS by Keren David
From the best-selling author Keren David comes an affecting tale of two girls brought together by circumstance and bound by more than blood. This is a powerful drama of two young women exploring their true selves, with LBGT themes.
Ruby has had a lot of foster siblings over the years, but none of them have been anything like Clara. After growing up in almost complete isolation, Clara is overwhelmed by life in a world she doesn’t understand. But the more Ruby tries to help Clara fit in, the more Ruby realises she has to face up to struggles of her own, and face the world with her own truth.
Reasons to read:
- There will be a brilliant author interview with Keren on my blog on the 28th September so it be great to have the book before!
- I’ve been craving a good narrative about fostering and Keren is a lovely storyteller.
- We all want to find our ‘true selves’ in one way at some point, don’t we?
STAY A LITTLE LONGER by Bali Rai
Aman’s dad is gone. Mum won’t say it and she’s struggling to talk about it, but it’s a fact and he isn’t coming back. Aman has been feeling more than lost and alone since he died. It just seems to be her and mum against the world, even against their family. When a lovely man called Gurnam moves in next door, it looks like he might fill a little gap in her life. But Gurnam has his own sadness. One that’s far bigger than Aman can understand and it’s tearing his life apart…
A touching and evocative tale of unlikely friendships and finding happiness in the hardest of times.
Reasons to read:
- An emotional story about sadness and depression. In Bali Rai’s own words it’s: “…two people, one young, one much older trying to get on with life as they face their demons. They find solace by talking to the people around them – friends and family – and mostly by spending time with each other and learning that they aren’t as alone as they feel.”
Read my interview with Bali Rai by clicking on this link HERE
FIREBIRD by Elizabeth Wein
Nastia is no traitor. She is a daring pilot, the daughter of revolutionaries, and now, as the Second World War descends on Russia, she must fight to save the glorious Motherland. But all is not as it seems, and when the battles begin, secrets are revealed and everything that she once knew is challenged…
A daring tale of war, revolution and intrigue, from the renowned historical fiction author of Carnegie shortlisted Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein.
Review: Another treat from Elizabeth Wein one which you can devour in one sitting. I enjoyed Nastia as a narrator. She is full of conviction for the cause she has been bought up to believe in, yet at the same time she cares deeply for the people around her. Firebird contains mystery, devotion and friendship, loss – Nastia’s story is so full and yet the ending leaves you wanting more.
The additional information at the end made the story more interesting to me, prior to Firebird I can honestly say I never had any interest in this part of history but now I’m tempted to find some of the titles Elizabeth Wein listed.
Read my interview with Elizabeth Wein by clicking on this link HERE
THE RACE TO THE FROZEN NORTH: THE MATTHEW HENSON STORY by Catherine Johnson
Publishing ahead of Black History Month in October, this amazing fictionalised story of a real life BAME hero is not to be missed. Matthew Henson was the first man to reach the North Pole in the early twentieth century, but his story was suppressed for decades because of the colour of his skin.
Matthew Henson was simply an ordinary young man. That was, until Commander Robert E. Peary entered his life and offered him a chance at true adventure. Henson would become navigator, craftsman, translator, and right-hand man on multiple treacherous journeys to the North Pole. Defying the odds and the many prejudices that faced him to become a true pioneer, this is his incredible and often untold story.
Reasons to read:
- Catherine Johnson is the master of bringing history to life in her books and this is the perfect introduction is you haven’t read one of her books before.
- It’s the story of the first man to reach the North Pole!!!