It sounded like a respectable and worthy enough death for an explorer – tumbling from an ice bridge to be impaled upon a mammoth tusk – but Stella really, really didn’t want that to happen, just the same.
Join Stella Starflake Pearl and her three fellow explorers as they trek across the snowy Icelands and come face-to-face with frost fairies, snow queens, outlaw hideouts, unicorns, pygmy dinosaurs and carnivorous cabbages…
When Stella and three other junior explorers get separated from their expedition can they cross the frozen wilderness and live to tell the tale?
How did I get the book?
Received from publisher in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Adventure / Fantasy
With pigmy dinosaurs, unicorns and carnivorous cabbages you could say Alex Bell has really thrown everything at this adventure and then some. Because who would have thought of the cabbages? I mean the trolls and Yeti yes – but would you have thought of cabbages?
The Polar Bear Explorers’ Club is fun because it has all the best things you love from fantasy adventure stories. It’s magical, there is danger, unexpected turns and surprises.
I had a smile on my face with each new chapter and definitely don’t begrudge the continuation of Stella’s adventures. The Polar Bear Explorers’ Club works as a standalone but is also a nice introduction to what I think will be an entertaining set of books.
Technically this might be a middle-grade story but I think any age will find enjoyment in the tale.
The Mountain Goat Explorers’ Club
Inspired by the The Polar Bear Explorers’ Club our Crossover Book Club decided to start their own club. One which Stella would surely take on another adventure. Welcome to the Mountain Goat Explorers’ Club
- All members must have goatees, any goatees below the waist must be platted
- Members must ensure their goats are in attendance at mealtimes without exception
- Soup will be taken via the meerschaum pipe only as spoons are forbidden in the dinning room
- Never yodel with a mouth full of custard (unless competitively)
- The committee accept no responsibility for injuries incurred during the collection of discarded mountain dragon egg shells. (As they are too hot to handle without oven gloves.)
Upon initiation all Mountain Goat Explorers’ shall receive…
A Mammoth Skin Rucksack (bigger on the inside) with:
- Everlight Lantern
- Captain Monty Peregrine’s Amazing Blister Ointment
- 5 mile unbreakable rope
- Saber-tooth Tiger tusk pick ax
- Captain Monty Peregrine super-strong humbugs
- Meerschaum Pipe
- all purpose hiking Kazoo
- Bobble-flat cap